How To Start Moving?
14 pre-moving tips from a professional mover that will make your overall move less stressful.
- Make a budget and a moving list. Knowing how much money and how much moving material you will need is very important.
- Weigh the pros and cons on hiring professionals movers. If you don’t have capable family and friends then best moving tips is you should consider hiring professionals.
- Send out notices. Transfer your cable and utilities so that by the time you move everything will be in place.
- Declutter your house or apartment. Over the months and years we tend to accumulate a lot of things we don’t need. Some things can be desposed of, donated, and sold. This will save you time and money and make moving less stressful.
- Dedicate at least an hour a day to packing and preparing leading up to the move. Never wait till the last minute.
- Label boxes, furniture, or rooms so that movers can identify where items are going. Also use labeled ziplock bags for screws and bolts which can be taped or plastic wrapped to the items that it belongs to. That way the reassembling process is easy. It can be very stressful and time consuming if a labeling system is not in place.
- Don’t over pack boxes. This can be a burden to yourself and the movers especially when carrying items up and down the stairs. Over packed boxes are prone to rip open which can cause damage to your property.
- Always pick the right size boxes. Items such as books should be packed in small boxes and they should be packed tightly. Don’t leave space in boxes especially with fragile items as they can shift around and cause damage. Put lots of padding when packing glass or fragile items.
- Save money on boxes by using suitcases, hampers, and similar things. Always roll your clothes tight so that you can have more space.
- Don’t pack hazardous materials with non hazardous items.
- Stock up on materials for packing your kitchen. Newspaper can save you money and bubble wrap is very important for when packing a kitchen.
- Use plastic wrap when packing bottles and containers that may contain liquid or material such as: shampoo, toothpaste etc..
- Always lock away your jewelry and valuables in safes or jewelry boxes that are sealed tightly.
- You should prepare before the move to have your kids, pets and elderly dependents out of the way of the movers.
We have learned over the years that if one follows these rules and hires the right professionals, their moving will be a non stressful experience.